About Me

My photo
I am a paralegal practicing in insurance defense, and I am also a graduate student at the University of Southern Mississippi.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

To Infinity and Showbeyond!

After coming off the high of raving about Prezi, I admit that this next software application is a little…lackluster. Well, that’s not entirely fair. Showbeyond, slidecast software is free (of course), easy to use (of course), useful (naturally), and a bit more engaging than Photostory.

Photostory allowed a sequence of images to be displayed with some snappy transition affects, some photo-alteration affects, and narration and/or music. Showbeyond sets up more of a traditional slide show that fosters a more cohesive story. It includes backgrounds to set images to, title and text editing for image captions, and the ability to import a soundtrack. I think it looks more professional in the finished product than Photostory, but that is not to imply that one program is better than the other, simply that they may be better suited to different applications.

Continuing to flaunt my love for Chinese cinema, as I had in my Prezi, I created a Showbeyond slidecast dedicated to Wong Kar Wai’s 1960’s trilogy of films. Upon reflection, I should have done all of my assignments in this class on this subject, because a large chuck of Hollywood blockbusters were made originally in Hong Kong, and the Chinese versions are superior. How so you ask? Watch Infernal Affairs with Andy Lau and Tony Leung (Chiu-Wai) and then watch Departed With DiCaprio. I rest my case. I also digress because this is a blog about technology.

So, Showbeyond! As I indicated, this software lends itself to cohesive storytelling organization. You can manipulate slide order and edit text in a format that just *is* linear storytelling. This consistency of theme makes the finished product tighter than a meandering Photostory or globe-trotting Prezi. Uploading images to Showbeyond is delightfully simple in that it is no more complicated that adding an attachment to an email. The only difficulty I ran into was uploading the audio. First, it is important to note that the audio file must not exceed 8 MB. Second, it is important to preview your Showbeyond slidecast to determine where your images and corresponding audio track end. On my first draft, my music jarringly cut off mid high note. I went back into the slidecase and manually adjusted the display time of each slide to add a couple of seconds to the overall show so that the music would end on a more natural down note. You can critique my success in the example I have posted below.

Showbeyond will be added to Clickety Von Linkety. This particular software, to me, trends more towards formal presentation personally, such as a graduation, marriage or funeral, or otherwise for professional application.


1 comment:

  1. Great job on Showbeyond. The music and pics were awesome; I had a little trouble reading your text. I wonder if a wide format might have worked a little better for this slidecast. I would also suggest using Audacity to adjust the ending. The fade-out tool would be useful, and it wouldn't be too difficult to do.

    ReplyDelete