About Me

My photo
I am a paralegal practicing in insurance defense, and I am also a graduate student at the University of Southern Mississippi.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Photostory: First assignment in scary new computer class!

Through the Photostory project, I learned to digitally manipulate photographs (including scans), arrange them into a slide show and embellish the show with music and transition effects. The effects I used came from the free photo-manipulation software, Picnik. Check Clickety Von Linkety for the link. Some of the FREE effects include, but are certainly not limited to changing the focal point of the picture, adding borders, cropping the picture, adjusting the resolution, converting the picture to a pencil sketch or neon sign image. Photos can be made to look like snap shots from the 1960’s or digital images from future decades. The manipulation process through Picnik is ridiculously easy and does not take much time for mastery at all. However, there is much to be gained (as with any technology application) from taking time to explore the application and play with every feature it has to offer.
All of the skills contained within the project have value personally and professionally. At work, I have used the photo manipulation techniques to improve photographic evidence involved in lawsuits. I had a snap shot of a traffic sign on a highway road side and I was able to increase the resolution of the photograph so that the writing on the sign was legible. One of the effects in Picnik offers a side by side view of the image before and after it has been altered. I was able to use this to demonstrate that while I had made the photo clearer, I had not tampered with the actual content of the photo. In litigation, we often receive digital images that have been made from copies of copies of scans of emails and the quality has been degraded. With some of the free tools on Picnik, I can sharpen the photos and smooth out the color in the same time it would take me to write an email requesting the original photos.

Personally, photostories can make great archives and presents for life's auspicious occasions. In my example, I used images and music from my favorite band. This inspired me to create one for a friend as a personalized “pick me up” while she was dealing with some stress. Also, physical photo albums are becoming a thing of the past as families discover the space saving and organizational quality of digital images. Photostories are tomorrow’s family photo album.

I will be using this knowledge and skills from this project on a daily basis.

Here is my first attempt at a Photostory:

No comments:

Post a Comment