About Me

My photo
I am a paralegal practicing in insurance defense, and I am also a graduate student at the University of Southern Mississippi.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Round and round they go: 360 Degree Photographs

The second assignment for IT 644 involved taking a series of still photographs and "stitching" the images together into a 360 degree panoramic image. We used the CleVR software which will be added to Clickety Von Linkety.

There are some problems with the CleVR software in that you cannot manually manipulate the image stitching. As you can see in my final product below, this can lead to "ghost" images or continuity imperfections. However, I think the biggest issue with CleVR is that is simply takes practice. The software itself is great for the price (did I mention it's FREE) and is quite easy to use. The CleVR site provides plenty of "how to's" in case you get stuck. While working on this project, I explored some other online software options, but this was the easiest to use and seem to have the most quidance.

The most obvious use for this type of application is virtual touring. In fact, I won't stay in a hotel unless I can get a 360 degree view of its room. Certainly, though, this application is not limited to hotels and real estate. I work in litigation and this would be a powerful tool to use in evidence. At trial, one of the biggest challenges is getting the jury to picture the case you are presenting. In a car accident trial for instance, the jury can miss out on key details if they cannot get an understanding of where Vehicle "A" was in relation to the intersection and Vehicle "B". Only so much can be achieved by showing a jury snapshots. Using this 360 degree application, an attorney (or in my case, the paralegal) can present at trial a panoramic photograph that pans around. That way the jury can see the position of an intersection in relation to a ditch in relation to a light post in relation to a stop light- all of the little things that make up our environment that can become paramount in litigation.

This can also be a fun way to show distant loved ones your environment. When vacationing, traveling for work, or stationed at a new base, you can let friends and family see exactly where you are, or what your office or dorm room looks like.

The clip below was my first venture using CleVR and, as I stated, it takes practice. With some effort though, you can find an effective balance of photography and technology to achieve a functional result.


Panorama of USM Admin Building 1 on CleVR.com

No comments:

Post a Comment